Last modified: Saturday, January 23, 2021

Sampling Biodiversity

Local legislation regulates both the collection and the exportation of protected species. It is strongly advised to contact Gump Station at well in advance of any sampling. Most permits (e.g., CITES) require submitting an application AT LEAST 2 MONTHS in advance. 

Note: the research "permit" (protocole d'accueil) is necessary (for immigration purposes) but is not necessarily sufficient (e.g., for sampling biodiversity). It does not authorize all activities that might be carried out under a project and additional permits might be required.

Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS)

France is a signatory to the Convention for Biological Diversity (CBD; ) and compliance with its Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS) is the responsibility of French Polynesia. The sampling of biological resources as well as any export requires a declaration to the FP Department of Environment (DIREN). Please contact the Gump Station management for assistance.

Locally Protected Species

See list of species protected in French Polynesia. Sampling or otherwise disturbing these species requires additional procedures depending on the species and activity proposed. If you wish to study a protected species, please provide details well in advance, as obtaining necessary authorizations can take a long time. Researchers may be granted specific derogations to allow the study of protected species:

  • FP legislation: The Council of Ministers can permit collection and exportation for scientific research purposes only if the request specifies precisely the utilization and destination of the specimens subject to the derogation.
  • Requests for permits, authorizations and derogations, are addressed to the DIREN, Direction Régionale de l'Environnement in French Polynesia. We recommend you contact the Gump Station first to assist with preparing your request.


Some species (e.g., corals) are protected by international treaties (e.g., CITES). The relevant authority for French Polynesia is the French High Commission in Papeete.

  • Appendix I: Prior grant of an import permit and either an export permit or a re-export certificate are required.
  • Appendix II: Prior grant of an export permit or a re-export certificate is required.
  • The CITES appendices can be found on the CITES website.

Users should contact the Gump Station management if they plan to export ANY CORAL or any other samples that might be covered by CITES. If a CITES permit is deemed necessary by the High Commission (which is currently the case for all corals, even very small pieces, including gametes), the CITES form (below) should be submitted via the Gump Station Forms page AT LEAST 2 MONTHS IN ADVANCE. (Note: countries interpret what is covered by CITES slightly differently, and so while French regulations govern export from French Polynesia, you should also consult your destination country to be sure of the regulations for import.)

CITES Permit Request Form