French Polynesia is generally a very safe place to visit. There is no malaria although dengue fever (also mosquito-borne) is a periodic problem.
Probably the most common problems are cuts and grazes that can quickly become infected in the tropical environment and so they should be cleaned and treated immediately (even if apparently very minor). Over-exposure to heat and sun should also be avoided.
|SAMU Service d'Aide Medicale Urgente - Ambulance||15|
|Pompier - Fire Station||18|
|Secours en Mer - sea rescue||16 or 126.96.36.199|
- If you have a minor problem, there is a First Aid kit in the dorm and the Pharmacist in Maharepa is helpful.
- For a more serious problem, call a local doctor. A list of Moorea doctors is below.
- The doctors hours are: Mon-Fri 7-12 and 2-6; Sat 7-12 and 5-6
- The pharmacy hours are: Mon-Fri 7:30-12 and 2-5; Sat 8-12 and 3:30-6; Sun 8-11am.
- For weekends and holidays, consult the list of on-duty doctors.